Posted: Jan 12, 2021 / 4:22 PM CST
Updated Jan 12, 2021 / 4:22 p.m. CST
United Way Quad Cities is accepting appointments for free income tax preparation services starting January 26th for low- to middle-income filers in the Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois and expected to be filled quickly.
“Last year’s challenges have seen more low- and middle-income families seek help – and we expect this trend to continue with our free voluntary tax filing service,” said Rene Gellerman, President and CEO of United Way.
Individual applicants and families who have earned up to $ 57,000 in the past year can schedule an appointment for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program by calling 563-355-9900 or dialing 2-1-1. The services will be available to residents of Rock Island and Scott counties between January 26th and April 15th.
Masks are required at all VITA locations, and health and safety precautions for COVID-19 are being taken to prevent the virus from spreading.
For those who prefer to avoid filing in person, United Way also takes appointments to prepare for filing taxes. Applicants are required to schedule a tax check-in and filing time for a trained volunteer to prepare for taxes. All documents are saved. The applicant must personally review and sign the final documents to complete the registration process.
“This is a program where skilled and dedicated volunteers have continued to find a need for over a decade that can have a direct positive impact on the lives of their neighbors – to ensure filers get every dollar owed through tax credits,” he said to Gellerman.
Over the past two years, the VITA program in the Quad Cities has saved more than $ 1.7 million in preparation fees and received an average tax return of $ 1,500 for every family receiving services. Additionally, volunteers have completed nearly 10,000 free tax returns and returned over $ 9 million to families in the Quad Cities.
“This service plays an important role in our efforts to provide Quad Citizens, regardless of race or zip code, the opportunity and access to reach their full potential,” said Gellerman.
The tax preparation offices in the Quad Cities are located at:
- Friendly House, 1221 Myrtle Street, Davenport
Rock Island County
- Moline Public Library, 3210 41st Street, Moline
- Palomares Social Justice Center, 133 4th Avenue, Moline
- Martin Luther King Jr. Center, 630 Martin Luther King Drive, Rock Island
- Rock Island County Senior Citizens Center, 2221 11th Street, Rock Island
- Rock Island Meetinghouse, 2827 7th Avenue, Rock Island
- Geneseo Public Library, 805 North Chicago Street, Geneseo (call 309-944-6452 to schedule an appointment at this location)
Filers should bring the following items to appointments:
- Valid driver’s license or photo ID
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members of your family
- All W-2 forms
- Tax return of the previous year
- All 1099 forms (if applicable)
- Account numbers for the electronic payment of the refund
- Health insurance documentation
- If you are filing together, your spouse must be present
For more information on VITA and location times, visit this website or call 563-355-9900 or 2-1-1.