meach of us had to To work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, with some Jobs even keeping it up after it seemed safe enough to return to the office and everyone in the United Kingdom can apply for a tax rebate of up to 125 euros per tax year.
Indeed, even if only you worked at home You can claim the tax refund for a day as the government tries to cover some of the additional costs like higher heating and electricity bills.
Tax relief for home work
Millions of people in the UK had to set up a temporary area in their home during the pandemic to work during the pandemic and official guidance to continue working from home whenever possible.
If this applies to you, you can cover the additional costs by: a Tax relief in the tax years 2020-21 and 2021-22.
There is an online portal launched by the HMRC so that people can use the Tax relief, and more than 800,000 people filed an application in the first three months of this tax year. Then about three million people did this in the entire 2020-21 tax year.
Eligibility to participate
To qualify to receive Tax relief, you need:
- Has been instructed by your employer to work from home (you cannot claim tax breaks if you have chosen to work from home)
- Had to pay higher costs to work from home
- You will not receive any work from home expenses directly from your employer
- Unpaid tax through self-assessment
At this point it is important to note that as a self-employed person you cannot make any claims because you are working for yourself tax declaration together.
Tax breaks for working from home
There are two ways to get that Tax reliefbecause either your employer pays your expenses and pays them tax-free into your wages or you have to submit an application Tax relief yourself.
Should you make a claim yourself, the amount is based on the rate of Income tax You pay.
For example, property taxpayers receive 1.20 per week (tax reduction of 20% on 6), which is 62 per year, while taxpayers with a higher tax rate receive 2.40 per week (tax reduction of 40% on 6), which is 125 per year.
How to apply for the work from home tax break
To claim that Work from home tax break, you will need:
- Your government gateway ID
- The date you started working from home
Once this process is completed, you will notice a few changes:
- PAYE tax code changes automatically
- You’ll pay a little less tax on your earnings every month this year
- Any claims for the last tax year are paid into your salary as a lump sum