Tax Relief

Information414: You requested, we reply: Sources for relieving property tax

If you are having trouble paying property tax, you are not alone. There are foreclosure prevention programs and grants that are available. (File photo by Edgar Mendez)

A year ago, Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service has partnered with other nonprofit newsrooms Wisconsin clock and Outlier media to launch News414, the free SMS messaging service that provides readers with vital information on nutrition, housing and health.

Since then, we’ve regularly communicated with over 1,000 copywriters on topics that matter most to them. Today we’re sharing answers to two common questions we’ve received.

I can’t pay my property taxes. What can I do?

If you need help paying your property tax bill, there are several options available to you.

Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity currently has one Tax Foreclosure Grant available to homeowners in the Harambee, Midtown, Washington Park, Metcalf Park, and Amani communities. This is a one-time grant to assist with arrears property tax with a maximum withdrawal amount of $ 1,500.

GreenPath Financial Wellness’ free foreclosure prevention program can manage payments to creditors, including property tax payments. Find out more Here or call 800-550-1961.

Housing Resources Inc. also offers a foreclosure prevention program with counseling services for people experiencing property tax issues. You can learn more Here.

I have been told that my unemployment benefit will be administered by an adjudicator. What can I do?

In the event of a dispute between the employee and the employer about the amount to be paid in the event of unemployment, the assistance of an adjudicator can be sought while the exact amount is agreed.

However, if your unemployment benefit is held by an adjudicator, you can get free legal assistance. A list of free legal aid providers can be found Here.

To ask a question about News414, send an SMS with “MKE” to 73224.

Related Articles