FAIRFAX COUNTY, VA — Tax filing season has begun, and various Northern Virginia sites are offering free tax preparation for eligible residents.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program sponsored by the IRS helps qualifying residents avoid fees charged to prepare tax returns so they can maximize their tax returns. The deadline for federal tax returns is April 18, while the Virginia state tax return deadline is typically May 1. Since May 1 falls on a Sunday, state returns must be filed by the next business day, May 2.
Northern Virginia CASH Campaign is hosting sites in Kingstowne, Mount Vernon, Annandale, Arlington, Herndon, Reston and Woodbridge. The Northern Virginia CASH Campaign tax preparation sites are available to residents or families who made under $58,000 in income in 2021. The six sites will have tax preparation and documents drop-offs by appointment only.
Sites and times for appointments include:
- Kingstowne Library: 6500 Landsdowne Center, Alexandria, VA 22315, Saturdays, 10 am-3 pm
- Gerry Hyland Government Center: 8350 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22309 , Tuesdays and Wednesdays 6 pm-8 pm, Saturdays 10 am-3 pm
- Virginia Career Works, Fairfax Annandale Center: 7611 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22033, Tuesdays and Thursdays 1pm-3pm, 5pm-7:30pm, Saturday 10am-4pm
- Enterprise Development Group: 901 S. Highland Street, Arlington, VA 22204, Mondays and Wednesdays 10am-5pm, Fridays 4pm-8pm, Saturdays 10am-3pm
- Neighborhood Resource Center: 1086 Elden Street, Herndon, VA 20170, Thursdays 6 pm-8 pm, Saturdays 9:30 am-11:30 am
- Department of Family Services, Lake Anne: 11484 Washington Plaza W Suite 110, Reston, VA 20190, Tuesdays 3 pm-6 pm
- Virginia Career Works- Prince William Center: 13370 Minnieville Road, Woodbridge VA 22192, Mondays 12pm-4pm Saturdays, 10am-2pm
Appointments can be made online at the Kingstowne, Mount Vernon, Annandale, Herndon, Reston and Woodbridge sites. For appointments at the Arlington site, call 571-321-6976.
When visiting a tax preparation site, residents should bring their photo ID, Social Security Cards and tax documents needed for the tax return. For those dropping off documents, will be completed within five days, and documents will then be returned.
The City of Alexandria offers free tax preparation services through Community Tax Aid, Inc. for residents and families with less than $58,000 in income. Tax preparation will be offered by appointment only at the Department of Community and Human Services, 2525 Mount Vernon Avenue, Saturdays from 9 am to noon and Wednesdays from 6 pm to 8 pm through April 23. For appointments, 703-831-2918. Residents will need to bring a Social Security or taxpayer ID card for each family member, a photo ID for the taxpayer (and spouse, if filing jointly), W-2 forms and other needed documents.
Another option is the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program provides free tax return services for low and moderate-income residents with a focus on older adults. To see locations and appointment information, visit the Tax-Aide website.
Income-eligible residents can also use free file options from the IRS. A free federal return is available to those with an adjusted gross income of $73,000 or less, and free state returns are offered by some services.