Paying a tax advisor can be costly, an average of $ 350 for a typical family. It’s a fee that is difficult for many families, especially when recovering from a pandemic. Central WV Community Action supports Harrison and Lewis Counties by providing free tax preparation services as part of its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
January 15th was a new tax season for all taxpayers. Your taxes could be different this year. Did you receive unemployment benefits? How about an Economic Impact Payment (Stimulus) Check? Have you changed jobs? Not sure what to put down or not?
Volunteers trained and certified by the Internal Revenue Service are available to assist clients in determining eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit and other refundable credits. Central WV Community Action serves as a local VITA site that helps with the creation and electronic filing (electronic filing) of tax returns at no cost to the customer.
Central WV Community Action is the only website offering free and expanded tax preparation for free under the VITA program in Counties Lewis and Harrison. Customers with a household income of less than $ 57,000 / year may be eligible for the free service.
“Our volunteers assist individuals with filing basic or advanced tax returns that claim their maximum available refund. We provide free services to our customers and hope to improve their financial literacy as well. Our volunteers offer suggestions on how to get the most out of their new income for those receiving reimbursements, such as: For example, you can set up an emergency savings account, pay off debts, invest in a car, or make a down payment on a home, ”said Lesley Slaughter, assistant director.
All clients are encouraged to participate in additional financial management activities such as budget exercises.
For eligible persons, the free tax preparation is only available by agreement and begins on Wednesday, January 20th. The dates will be assigned according to availability and will continue until April 15th. Customers can call their local district office to schedule an appointment.
Central WV Community Action – Lewis County
4 Brown Ave, Weston, WV 26452
9 am-3pm Monday Friday
Central WV Community Action – Harrison County
445 W. Main St., Clarksburg, WV 26301
9 am-3pm Monday Friday
Call 304-622-8495 ext. 112
The following documents are required for volunteers to review and apply the appropriate credits:
• A valid driver’s license or other photo ID
• Social security cards for everyone listed on the return
• Dates of birth for all persons listed on return
• All Income Statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, Unemployment, and other declarations
• All records of expenses such as tuition, mortgage interest or property taxes
• Copies of last year’s tax returns, if any
• Routing codes and account numbers for direct payment of refunds
• Dependent childcare information: Name and address of the person you paid and either the caretaker’s social security number or other tax identification number
• Both spouses must sign forms to file a joint tax return via email
For more information on VITA or free tax preparation websites, contact Central WV Community Action at 304-622-8495, option 3.