Tax returns are filed electronically by CRT free of charge for the consumer.
The Community Renewal Team (CRT) offers free help in filling out and submitting your tax return for 2020 for the federal and state levels. Assistance is available in Hartford County and Middlesex Counties through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program now through tax day April 15, 2021.
CRT offers VITA services at the following locations:
- Hartford County at 330 Market St., Hartford
- Middlesex County at 44 Hamlin Street, Middletown
Tax returns are filed electronically by CRT free of charge for the consumer. Refunds are typically received within two to three weeks when submitted online.
The VITA program offers free tax assistance for:
- People (households) who generally earn $ 57,000 or less;
- People with disabilities; and
- Limited English speaking taxpayers who need help preparing their own tax returns.
“If you look at the number of people CRT helped in 2019, which is the 2018 tax year, we helped over 840 people fill out their tax returns at that point. Over a third of those people they were for tax credit for Earned income qualifies what really matters and that could be a huge saving for people when they get their taxes done, “said Jason Black of the Community Renewal Team.
To use VITA tax preparation services with CRT, customers must adhere to the following information:
- Customers can pick up a VITA entry package and return the envelope at the main entrance to the CRT offices at 330 Market St. Hartford or at the staff at 44 Hamlin St., Middletown.
- Customers should complete the admission package, collect supporting / required documents (see list below), and return their information to the appropriate site.
- CRT staff and trained volunteers handle customer taxes.
- Once the client’s taxes are completed, the staff will make an appointment with the client to come to the office * to review and sign their tax return (s). If filing together, you and your spouse will need to be present to sign the form.
Social distancing protocols are in place in all CRT offices.
Here is the documentation you will need to finalize your 2020 taxes:
- Photo ID
- Social security card
- A copy of the tax return for the previous year if you did not use the CRT VITA service in the last year
- Form 1095 A, proof of health insurance coverage if your coverage is through the government market
- For direct payment of your tax refund, you will receive a check or a savings account number with the sort code from the check
- Paperwork detailing property tax payments (home and automatic) if applicable
- General income records: W-2, W-2G, 1099-INT, SSA-1099R, 1099-DIV, 1099-G
- Maintenance received, 1099-MISC, 1099-B and 1099-R