WAUKESHA – The IRS won’t start processing your 2020 tax returns until February 12, but that doesn’t mean you should hesitate.
If you’re concerned about face-to-face interactions during COVID-19, Waukesha, La Casa de Esperanza is masters of contactless tax preparation.
This year La Casa de Esperanza expanded its Voluntary Income Tax Support (VITA) program. All services are free if you qualify and they are COVID-19 friendly.
Here are all the options for taxpayers:
* Personal appointment (temperature check, mask required and health issues)
* Personal deadline (temperature control, mask required and health issues)
* Drive through appointment (you can stay in your vehicle while we prepare your tax return)
* Drive-through deadline (we have set two deadlines for this method, one for drop-off and one for review, signature and collection).
* 100% virtual (in addition to current volunteers, we also work with MATC students who volunteer to help us with virtual work)
The services began in late January.
“You have been doing this for a week. How was the demand?” Asked Kristin Byrne from TMJ4 News.
“It’s huge. Demand is incredible because many of the other VITA locations are either closed or don’t offer personal taxes,” said Gina Sanchez Juarez, director of La Casa’s financial stability center.
To date, Sanchez Juarez says nearly six hundred taxpayers have made appointments with La Casa – dozen have already received assistance at the two Waukesha locations (personal location is 202 E. Broadway Avenue and transit location is 134 Wisconsin Avenue).
This tax season, the nonprofit added a lot more volunteers.
“MATC partnered with us for our VITA site this year, which means we will have thirty tax students to help us with our virtual work,” said Sanchez Juarez.
She stressed that these students are certified with the IRS for tax preparation … like all the other volunteers involved in VITA.
“At our location, they have to be pre-certified so they know all the tax laws and everything,” she said.
To see if you qualify for the VITA program, call 262-832-1534.
To make an appointment, click here.
Report a typo or bug // Send message tip