Happy Tuesday Lakewood! Let’s get you all caught up to start today off on an informed note.
Here are the top three stories in Lakewood today:
- In a continued effort to use 100 percent renewable energy throughout the city by 2035, the Lakewood City Council approved a resolution from Mayor Meghan George and Council-At-Large Representatives Tom Bullock and Tristan Rader to participate in the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council’s (NOPEC) Green Community Choice program. Rader said that NOPEC is offering 100 percent clean energy for Lakewood residents who are NOPEC members through wind and solar renewable energy credits. Mayor George stated that the program fits into the city’s goal of becoming a clean-energy community. (cleveland.com)
- Republican Senator Steve Huffman (R-Tipp City) introduced a bill to repeal Ohio’s personal income tax over the next 10 years, reducing the tax by 10 percent annually. Some, such as state Sen. Nickie Antonio (D-Lakewood), fear the bill will have “disastrous” effects on state funding and for low-income families, while others say it is long overdue and that it will generate economic growth. Huffman said that it will put “billions of dollars back in everybody’s pocket every year.” (WDTN.com)
- Elaine Keating, a Lakewood mom, accomplished her goal to run 50 marathons in 50 states at 50 years old. Keating ran her first marathon in Cleveland and completed her goal in Hawaii. At the finish line, she was greeted by a host of family and friends. (WKYC.com)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. Did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that provides protection both online and off? It’s called Ring Alarm Pro, a DIY home security system that includes a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router.
To learn more about the security system that offers Reliable physical and digital security in one innovative deviceor to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
- See who’s hiring in Lakewood this week. Check out the latest job postings from companies in the area. (Lakewood Patch)
- Join Yoga for Kids, presented by a kid at Hyde Park on the second Tuesday of every month at 4:00 pm Instructor Vivienne Konz, a certified yoga instructor, looks forward to introducing you to the world of yoga. (Cincinnati Public Library)
- Meet your person at Pre-Dating Speed Dating at the Dingle House Irish Pub & Grub today from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Pre-Dating is the largest speed dating service for single professionals in the world. (Eventbrite)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- 2022 Cuyahoga County Solar Co-op Online and In Person Info Session (May 12)
- 1st Anniversary Open House (May 14)
- St. Luke School All-School Reunion (May 21)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update.
— Carla Varner